Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Breakfast Shakes - An Update









Rude.


But, if you show up in my yard with a milkshake, that's a whole other story...


Speaking of, my mornings as of lately have been started with a Protein Shake 99.9% of the time.  Okay I guess that's a lie, because that would mean out of the past 1000 days I only skipped the protein shake once... and 1000 days ago I hadn't even discovered the delicious secret incredient to making the best protein shakes ever.  But who's counting?  What are you -- a math major like me???





So to recap, important take away from My First Shake Post:

The secret ingredient to the perfect morning protein shake?  ICE CREAM!!!!!

Unfamilliar with my first post on the *basis* of making a delicious protein shake?  Read it now.



{Final Product}




So here are a few things I've learned about ways to mix up/make shakes:



1. Guar Gum is a thickener/emulsifier that you can add to make your shakes extra creamy.







2.  Frozen Bananas are a natural sweetener to your shake and also pair well with chocolate & peanut butter (even if you aren't a huge banana lover, like me)



**Tip: Just make sure to cut the banana into 1 inch slices and put into a tupperware container before you freeze them.  The first time I froze a banana I just stuck in the whole thing -- trust me, it's impossible to peel if you do it that way haha





3.  Cake is a delicious flavor.  Use vanilla and coconut oil or coconut milk to help achieve this effect.  Inspiration here


{Compliments ChocolateCoveredKatie}





4.  If you're adding PB into your shake, add a spoonful of Wheat Germ as well to pump up your folic acid, fiber, and protein!


{I'm practically a super food!!}




5. All shakes are even better when delivered to you by your adoring BF.



He's a very smart man.  I'm not much of a morning person but he's learned that handing me a deliciously cool creamy shake in the morning puts a smile back on my face and a pep in my step. 




So I have to ask, what do you add to your shakes?  Any tips/tricks/favorite recipes??


 

2 comments:

Tara @ texasrunnergirl.com said... Best Blogger Tips ** Leave a lil' Suga **
blog comments powered by Disqus

I'm totally with you... ice cream make everything better!! I use ice cream in my Saturday morning shakes because usually after a long run I don't want anything but the ice cream is tooo tempting. I have a protein shake every morning mainly cause I'm lazy and it's easy. I don't add anything yet, I guess I need to expand my boundaries.

Brittany *Sparkles* said... Best Blogger Tips ** Leave a lil' Suga **
blog comments powered by Disqus

I add things to my morning shakes so that they're a more 'full' meal :) If you don't want the calories, using the Arctic Zero Ice Cream I mention in my original Shake post is an awesome way to still incorporate that Ice-Creamy taste! Let me know if you come up with any good additions :)